Guatemala | 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training
Please review the following information as you begin to prepare for your Yoga Teacher Training Course in San Marcos, Guatemala.
This experience will be hosted at Arco Isis Sanctuary a transformational retreat, garden sanctuary and coffee finca on the mountainside overlooking San Marcos La Laguna, Lake Atitlán, Guatemala.
They are dedicated to rejuvenating holistic practices and healing modalities as well as preserving Mayan traditions and practicing sustainability and permaculture. Dive deep into the refreshing natural beauty of this stunning landscape. Within the vast, majestic horizons, you’ll find a deeper connection with your heart’s song and a rejuvenated sense of well being.
Lake Atitlan is known as the “Land of Eternal Spring.” The weather is surprisingly hot in the sun and surprisingly cold in the shade. During the Late Night and Early Morning hours it can get cold so please bring layers of clothing with you in order to adapt with the changing temperatures.
Arco Isis Sanctuary San Marcos, Guatemala
Phone/WhatsApp: USA +1 (253) 341-6790 (Travis – Onsite Manager)
WhatsApp: Guatemala + (502) 4480 6199 (Alfredo – Guest Relations)
DIRECTIONS TO ARCO ISIS SANCTUARY
Arco Isis is located on Lake Atitlan in San Marcos la Laguna in Sololá State Guatemala. It is approximately 3 hrs 30 min to drive from Guatemala City Airport to San Marcos La Laguna Lake Atitlan.
- We suggest to go from Guatemala City Airport to Antigua (Shuttle $12 USD) and spend a night in Antigua. Then take a shuttle the next morning to San Marcos.
- The shuttle company from Guatemala City Airport to Antigua is located at a kiosk just before exiting the Guatemala City Airport. Reservations are not required. The shuttle runs between 6 am – 10 pm.
- Try www.Booking.com for hotels and hostels in Antigua (Selina’s is a popular and safe hostel, dorm beds are as low as $8 USD.)
- It is possible to book private cars/vans from Guatemala City or Antigua to San Marcos La Laguna. Please contact Martha (speaks fluent English) at the number below:
RELAXICAB WhatsApp Number: +502 3073 0413 (Martha)
HOW TO BOOK A SHUTTLE
- Most hotels in Antigua can help to book your Shuttle to San Marcos, Lake Atitlan. We suggest the 8:30 am shuttle which arrives around 1 pm (approx. $20 USD)
- We can also provide you with a WhatsApp number of a shuttle service so you can message and book directly. Private transportation from the airport is approx. $100 USD. You can book private transportation directly from the Airport or your hotel in Antigua.
***Please note that the shuttle sometimes drops you off in San Pablo la Laguna which is the neighboring town to San Marcos La Laguna. If that is the route, then the shuttle company will include a Tuk Tuk (for free) to take you the last 10 minutes to San Marcos La Laguna town center or to the Meeting Point Below***
MEETING POINT: SHANGRI-LA COFFEE ROASTERY
The Meeting Point is the Shangri-La Coffee Roastery and store. Their store sells many goods including kombucha, organic toothpaste & tooth brushes, snacks, etc.
- From San Marcos Shuttle Drop Off at the City center, take any Tuk Tuk (Q15 + more for baggage) and ask for the path to Arco Isis or Shangri-la Roastery.
- You might notice that many Tuk Tuks have an ARCO ISIS Bumper Stickers and those drivers will know where to go.
- From there our staff will meet you to carry your items up to the Sanctuary.
There is a location for Sacred Paths Yoga on Google Maps. The course is NOT held at this location so please follow the above directions.
HIKING from the MEETING POINT to ARCO ISIS
- It is a 20 minute hike from the Meeting Point to the Arco Isis Sanctuary and the path is maintained but quite steep. Please be sure to bring water with you on the hike up. Don’t forget to occasionally look back at the incredible views!
- The local staff at Arco Isis will help to carry all of your bags up to Arco Isis. There is a minimum tip of Q50 for large bags paid directly to the staff member assisting you.
- Please do not attempt to hike up your first time, with all your luggage, without an Arco Isis Staff to guide you.
It is important that everyone make full tuition payment before the training begins. Please remember there is a cost for Tuition and a separate cost for Room/Board (price varies).
If you still owe tuition or room/board payment, please contact us to reconcile your bill. Thanks for your prompt payments: email@example.com
- Fly to Guatemala City Aurora International Airport (GUA)
We recommend travel insurance from World Nomads. Check with your local insurance provider first to see if you are insured while traveling.
Travel Booking websites: It is a good idea to book your flights as early a possible to receive the best prices. Flights that leave midweek can also be less expensive
- You can access ATMs in Guatemala City, Antigua, Panajachel, San Pedro and San Marcos La Laguna (the San Marcos ATM is not very reliable and is often out of cash)
- If you have cash (USD/ Euros), you can exchange at the bank or currency exchange tiendas but they will usually only except 100’s in perfect condition (any tear, pen mark or stamp will make the bill void in Guatemala)
- Make sure to contact your bank before you leave your country regarding your travel dates so you can access money from your bank/ATM.
- We recommend against travelers checks, as they are not accepted everywhere.
- Approximate Exchange rates $1 USD = 7.5 Guatemalan Quetzales
We will be reaching out to co-ordinate each students arrival time. It is best to arrive between 12 pm – 4 pm on the first day of your course. The Arco Isis staff will have a constant presence at the Meeting Point during this time.
On the first day of the training the schedule will be:
- 12 pm – Check In Begins at Shangri La Roastery Meeting Point
- 4 pm – Optional yoga class
- 6 pm – Dinner
- 7 pm – Opening Ceremony
On the last day of the training we will finish by 10 am.
Our daily schedule will generally be:
- 06:00 am – 09:00 am Meditation. Pranayama and Asana practice
- 09:00 am – 10:00 am Breakfast and Self Sadhana
- 10:00 am – 11:00 am Spiritual Lesson, Intention of the day
- 11:00 am – 12:00 pm Yoga Sutras/ Yoga Anatomy
- 12:00 pm – 01:00 pm Special Topic
- 01:00 pm – 03:00 pm Lunch and Self Sadhana
- 03:00 pm – 06:00 pm The Art of teaching/ Art of touch
- 06:00 pm – 07:00 pm Dinner/Self Sadhana
- 07:00 pm – 08:00 pm Sacred Circle Satsung
Every 5th day is an off day. There will be 3 days off during the training. Excursion options include:
- Cultural Tours
- Waterfall tours
- Volcano hikes
- Sunrise Stand Up Paddle Boarding (highly recommended!)
- Massage/spa services
- Handicraft markets
All extra activities vary in price, most can be arranged on arrival or the day before your planned excursion.
SICK DAYS/MISSED DAYS
We will make arrangements to make up any missed days during the program. Typically, it is not a problem and you can get everything completed during the course.
There are a few required books for the program.
- SPY Yoga Teacher Training Manual – we will have it waiting for you at the training site.
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (There are many authors to choose from we suggest translations by Dennis Hill, Nischala Joy Devi, Satchittananda or Iyengar)
*Additional books that you may be interested in can be found on the SPY website
FOOD & WATER
The food provided is vegetarian, grown locally and organic when possible.
If you have certain dietary needs or restrictions, please let us know (i.e., gluten, dairy, nut preferences sensitivities or allergies.)
Water: Filtered water will be provided. In general, do not drink tap water in Guatemala without first purifying.
We recommend you consult with your doctor prior to your trip to get any questions answered.
WHAT TO PACK
- Refillable Water Bottle
- Bathing suits
- Hat (for Sun & Night Time Cold)
- Sun Block
- Biodegradable shampoo, soap, etc
- All-natural bug repellent (All Terrain, Herbal Armor and Burts Bees are great!)
- Lightweight, long-sleeved shirts and pants
- Warm Sweater, Poncho
- 5 yoga outfits
- T-shirts and shorts
- Hiking Boot/Shoes (lightweight)
- Headlamps and flashlights (a headlamp is needed!)
- Yoga Mat or Yoga Towel (there are mats at the retreat center however it is nice to have your own mat)
- White or other ceremonial dress
- Any snacks/superfoods you like between meals
- Musical Instruments
- Art Supplies
- Journal and pens
- Course Textbooks
- Combination Lock or Other Lock for Personal Security Locker
While overall Guatemala is a safe country with very kind people there is a high rate of robbery and theft. In all parts of Guatemala do not walk at night alone or hike alone. Groups of 3 or more are suggested. If you are walking around outside of the Lake town centers, we suggest not to have valuables on your person. Your cell phone may be the equivalent of many months of normal work wages (to give you an idea of how people may be tempted.) Arco Isis has an amazing local staff that will help you to get around safely if needed.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us by phone or email. Also, we would love to know how you found out about us, so when you send us your flight information, please let us know how you discovered Sacred Paths Yoga! We are looking forward to having you here, ready to embark on this life changing journey, shedding away our layers to become our truest self.
The Sacred Paths Yoga Family